Friday, January 29, 2010

The collection in the hallway and my lighting solution!

This is the hallway going to the upstairs of the house, where 3 of the bedrooms are. I had these floral pictures scattered all over the house when we first moved in here almost 4 years ago but it gave the house a 'old lady' feel and wasn't really a good fit for the whole family. Now mind you I generally like the 'old lady' look and when I see a vintage floral picture I go gaga but D., well not so much! He doesn't really say much but this many was a bit over the top for him. My solution? Hang them in the hallway so that I can enjoy them without overtaking the house with 'flower power'!

This stairway is a really tight space so I tried to squeeze in all of the areas without making you dizzy looking at the pics! I didn't match up the frames heck some of the pics don't even have frames! I like the gathered over time look to them.

This is one of my favorite lighting solutions. There were just bare bulbs hanging in the hallway so when I found these paper lanterns here I was so excited! I think I paid 20. for 3 gorgeous lanterns that are huge!




I put cup hooks on two sides of the light fixture and then hooked the lantern onto them. I did have to snip the bar that went across the lantern but it didn't affect it. You can see the hooks in the pic. above.


Well that's it for now, stop back soon though as I have been going a little stir crazy around here and so have been sprucing up the place a little. (I once had a lady walk past my house when I was sprucing up the porch say to me 'you like playing house don't you?' my response what an enthusiastic 'YES'! I never thought of it that way but I always loved playing house when I was little, not so much the doll part but the making a home part.) I have a couple of upcycled projects to share with you and of course Silver Sunday! Thanks for stopping by, TGIF!! Theresa xoxo



4 comments:

  1. I love all of the floral prints and really like the "gathered over time look" too. Great solution for all of the gorgeous vintage pictures.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your lanterns and how you displayed your wonderful vintage pictures. Makes it feel so cozy.

    I had to laugh about the "playing house" comment. Apparently you and I have a lot in common. I am putting together my pantry, and my husband said that I was like a kid playing house in that room. It was one of my favorite games as a girl!!!

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I luv your collection of floral paintings,I have a good habit of cloceting roseoiland pansy oils, but i love the hollyhocks the best.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me here at The Old White House, your comments make my day! ~ Theresa xoxo