Sunday, January 24, 2010

Happy Silver Sunday #4

Wow, where has the time gone? 4 Silver Sundays already! I wanted to start this post with a girl who is near and dear to my heart. Our Liberty, she is the first welcoming sign that my grandparents saw when they arrived here from Austria so many years ago. My header is a picture of them with some of most of their children and a couple of their grandchildren, I love this picture they all look so happy (my mom is the baby sitting on her mothers lap furthest on the right.) It was definitely one of the highlights of our trip to N.Y. last year. Today she stands proud of her fellow Americans who have helped so many in Haiti did you watch Hope of Haiti? It was marvelous, so much talent coming together. to help others. loved it. This tussie mussie is quite big and made from an old metal window screen, after I stitched it together with jewelry wire I dabbed white paint on it and covered it in glass glitter. The beautiful paper boquet that it holds was presented to me by Hannah. She made them from a Martha Stewart kit while she was on the couch with 'the bug'.


Aren't they gorgeous? I just love them. I tucked them into the cone with some moss. I think they look great on our old gray cabinet.


More from my platter obsession... this time silver trays. After seeing everyones shiney silver I'm tempted to shine a few of these up. I really like the silver both ways so I know I can't shine up everything:)


This old jar filled with vintage clothespins is topped with a mercury glass lid. I unfortunately had a mishap with the fab jar it originally was on and it broke but I'm so glad I saved the lid, it fits this jar perfectly. My wool felted party chick perched on a silver candle holder is keeping a close eye on things!




That's all for now folks! Thanks for stopping by and visiting me for Silver Sunday, stop on over to see Beth @ Gypsy Fish and see all of the other participants and their fab silver goodies. The list of participants gets bigger every week. But ofcourse, who doesn't love silver and remember kindergarten, wasn't show and tell one of your favorite things? I know it was one of mine! Happy Silver Sunday! ~ Theresa
p.s. The Middlest Sister has the sweetest little girl ever and you really need to read about her efforts to raise money for Haiti. Check out Libbies' latest post about her sweet Annie.

14 comments:

  1. Your platters are so pretty, I must start collecting some! I adore your tussie mussie and yours is so unique! Pretty silver post.

    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  2. The screen is so unique. I've never seen anything like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that Lady Liberty!!!!!!!

    m ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your silver platters and covered dish. Is your Ms. Liberty a bell? The unique tussie mussie, is adorable, love the paper flowers, they had me fooled for a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just stole one of your ideas...took my old clothespins and plopped 'em into one of my apothecary jars. Thank you!

    That's a GREAT pic of your family up top! Is that a mohawk on your grandpa? ;-)

    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your header, and your Lady Liberty! She's dear to me too, because my grandparents came over from Czechoslovakia and were welcomed by her! Also, I collect the old souvenir statues of her when I see them!
    Happy Sunday!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, that's the coolest tussie ever! Blessings... POlly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Theresa,
    I have always loved your blog header photo so I'm glad to know that's part of your family. I love the silver, especially that collection of platters! The mercury glass lid looks like it was made for that jar!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful silvers Theresa....I especially love what you created from the old screen.
    Happy SS!
    xojanis

    ReplyDelete
  10. I spy your mercury glass lid...especially love that! Thanks for coming....see you next Sunday!
    {{gypsy hugs}}
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I am head over heels in love with your family photo. Aside from my art, I collect vintage photos for my art as well.

    My husband's grandparents came here from Austria as well.

    Kim
    Gerushia's New World

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have some beautiful pieces, Theresa. And what a great story about your grandparents. Sorry my Sunday Silver visit is so late but I do love your silver post!
    xoxo...Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me here at The Old White House, your comments make my day! ~ Theresa xoxo