Friday, March 22, 2013

the beautiful north...

Recently I was lucky enough to go on another girls weekend
with some of my favorite girls...
my sisters.
I only wish that all of them lived close enough 
to join in the fun.

we would have made room in the 
'must visit' phone booth!

Our stay at my SIL's parents cabin was fabulous!
Here is the view from the living room...

heaven.

Lake Michigan is gorgeous
in every season.

What used to be cherry orchards and farm land has now
a vast amount of excellent vineyards.
...So we went to a few
MANY
wineries.

MANY.
here is the run down of some of the ones that we went to...

Really, something for everyone!
I fell in love with this little old school house one,
the theme of all of their wine was about a school house.
I'm going to apologize now,
right up front,
I do not remember the names of most of the places we visited.
Although that has NOTHING to do with
wine tastings...

MANY.

They are scattered all up and down
the peninsulas.

Black Star Farms
(I only remember this because we went there last time!)

Thanks for the fun girls!


This one is the newest and has won many awards for their wine.
The whole decor was very contemporary with a focus on the view,
they built it on top of the tallest hill on the vineyard.
perfection.



It was the last one of the day and 
oh my gosh, I could work here,
if just for the view!
Those huge windows are actually doors
that open up to a patio for wine tastings in the summer.
how perfect is that?


ok, this one is called 45
(thanks to that t-shirt for sale!)
They had about 5 of the sweetest dogs
wandering around inside,
waiting for the little oyster crackers that 
they gave us for between wines.


This is the old asylum in Traverse City
that has been converted into
condos and low income housing
with restaurants, boutiques, and a farmers market on the bottom floor.
There was also a winery on the property.
Very beautiful, but I know that I couldn't live here...
all I could think of was some of the awful movies
about places like this.
way too eerie for me.

We did eat in the Cellar Restaurant there
and it was fabulous and we went to the
winery and that was awesome too.

We also visited the old fishing village...



but we were the only visitors!



That's what happens when you go up north
Michigan in March!

I wish I was a better tour guide and could remember the
names of the wineries, but honestly
all of the wine was delicious and if you are the
level 1 of wine connoisseur like I am
then you will be fine at all of them!
Just get yourself a map of the wineries on
the Leelanau Peninsula and you will be fine.

Now as much fun as we had tasting, and 
staying up late laughing and 
conquering world problems,
one of the highlights of the trip had to be this lady...


Our Aunt Virg,
last remaining sibling of my moms,
84 years young with the ability to make us
laugh so hard that my face hurt when I left her!

She is doing her diva pose for us as we pulled away.
love. her.

Now how do you top a weekend like that?
I'll tell you how...
You get dropped off at the movie theatre to meet your family
to see 
OZ the Great and Powerful
because if you stay til the end,
then you see what for me was the best part of the movie...


see that name, 4th one down?
...yup, that's our girl!!

and then to add more pleasure to the day,
we picked up our copy of the NY Times...

NY Times, T.mag

...yup, that's our boy!!

That's going to be a tough weekend to top!

wish me luck,
tomorrow's Saturday and my day will
be spent grocery shopping.

I don't think it's going to cut it.

Have yourself a fabulous weekend!

love,
t.xoxoxoxo

6 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! you should be EVER-SO-Proud of your babes! wow...impressive!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my word!!! What a great weekend. You look like you had so much fun with your sisters...then to see BOTH of your children's names and faces on the big screen and in print. Shoot. Forget the grocery shopping, you need to go buy frames.
    xo
    lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, how awesome...you must be a very proud mama! Your getaway sounds like a LOT of fun and memory making!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you must be glowing due to your kids accomplishments! A daughter in the movies and a son a top model! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Theresa, the entire thing sounds awesome! I am so glad you had a great weekend retreat with your sisters and company. The nice thing is that I'll bet you laughed so hard, you burned every single calorie you ate (or drank) that weekend. Sweet.

    And what a way to top it with the movie and the magazine. Fabulous! Absolute fabulous. Proof that dreams do come true and that fairy tales do exist! I love it!

    Have a wonderful spring week. (Or maybe enjoy another week of snow, like I will be doing!)
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Post, not sure how I even missed it (oops, that was the week I didn't have a computer) looks like you had fun on your "North" trip, I miss drinking wine unless it is totally Organic, I am deathly allergic to Sulfites in Wine ~ won't want to Die on a Girls Trip..... Congrats on the Kiddo's Accomplishments, how exciting, I saw the Oz movie, lets say I saw the beginning in 3D 4 times, Friday night is always Movie night for Me & 3 friends, the first night the movie came out, we went to see it in 3D, the scene where Oz is in the little trailer getting ready for his act, the film stopped momentarily & the sound and pic was off, so they had to start it all over again, each time it went a bit longer then acted up again..... After that happening 3 x's they moved us to another room (non 3D) the 4th time was the charm, I could have recited the Black & White part after seeing that 4x's..... we finally exited the movies 5 hours after it all began!
    Have a great week,
    xox
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me here at The Old White House, your comments make my day! ~ Theresa xoxo